The Blackwood shopping precinct encompasses the suburbs of Blackwood, Belair, Coromandel Valley, Glenalta, Hawthorndene, Eden Hills, Belleview Heights and the newly established residential estate of Craigburn Farm. Blackwood is a part of the City of Mitcham, and is located in the Adelaide Hills-Face zone, a short drive into the foothills heading south from Mitcham via the Main Belair or Old Belair Roads.
The popularity of Blackwood for residents and visitors is it’s unique village atmosphere with its leafy and undulating streetscape, heritage buildings, parks and gardens – yet only a 20 minute drive to the city of Adelaide. These include the historic Blackwood Uniting Church, built around 1880. In front of the church stands the Blackwood War Memorial, with a marble statue of a WW1 soldier. The memorial honors soldiers from Blackwood who served in the major wars since WW1. The Church and War Memorial is located at the Blackwood roundabout and is a well known landmark of Blackwood.
Craigburn Farm estate began development in the 1990’s has been established around the Sturt Gorge Recreation Park, maintaining much of the existing natural environment through incorporating recreation parks and reserves throughout the estate. The combined population of Blackwood, Glenalta and Craigburn Farm in 2001 was 6,379 (in 2,596 households.) .
Blackwood offers every convenience for shopping, services and community facilities, with 5 Banks, 4 Supermarkets, numerous Restaurants & Cafes of every cuisine, our own Hospital with Emergency service , doctors & health services and aged care facilities. Local sporting, community clubs and organizations include two Golf clubs (Belair Country Club and Blackwood Golf Club), the Blackwood Football Club, RSL & Rotary clubs and Senior Citizens Club. Local schools comprise 7 public primary schools, one public high school; and a 2 private schools (Lutheran & Anglican) that provides kindergarten, primary and high school campuses. There are also numerous child care and other learning centres.
Churches of every denomination serve our local community. They include Anglican, Uniting Church, Baptist, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Church of Christ, and Pentecostal churches. These churches form The Mitcham Hills Interchurch Council.
Library The Blackwood Library, is a comprehensive community Library facility provided by the Mitcham council. In addition to a large selection of books, video and dvd media, the library offers internet access, and a toy lending service.
Our local parks and gardens include the Belair National Park, and Wittunga Botanic Gardens.
The Belair National Park, located along the Adelaide Hills-Face zone was designated the first national park in South Australia in 1891, the second national park in Australia, and 10th in the world. Acquired by the SA Government in 1840, and known as Government Farm, a summer residence was built for the Governor of South Australia in 1869 – known today as Old Government House. Belair National Park
Old Government House is situated in the centre of Belair National Park and is a State Heritage listed building typical of Victorian-style architecture. Now managed and maintained by the ‘Friends of Old Government House’ with support from the Department of Environment and Heritage. The buildings and heritage gardens are open to visitors between 1pm and 4pm Sundays and public holidays. Guided tours are also available.
The Wittunga Botanic Gardens was opened to the public in 1975, when it was given to the Botanic Gardens of Adelaide by Mr Edwin Ashby, who established the gardens in 1901. The gardens combine a traditional English design with native Australian and South African plants.
Blackwood Railway Station is a a central transport hub with a train service to Adelaide and Belair, and bus service with direct or connected routes to every suburb in Adelaide, including the Fleurieu Peninsular.
Political Representation in Blackwood include, Iain Evans MP, State Member for Davenport, and Liberal MP Andrew Southcott, representative in the Australian House of Representatives.
See link for the History of Blackwood